Law Society Council Elections – Yorkshire Seat
How would you like to make a difference to the Profession and your fellow Solicitors in Yorkshire ?
One of the three Yorkshire Council Member Seats on the Law Society Council is up for election and nominations close on 17th July .
This is a great opportunity to get involved and influence change in the Legal Profession .
See the Law Society Notice here : https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/news-articles/preliminary-notice-of-council-elections-2020
To apply please follow this link : https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/about-us/join-our-council-or-committees#nomination
What is involved ?
Mark Newby , Yorkshire Council Member says :
" This is a great opportunity but it does come with a required level of committment . To assist you in making the decision you would be required :
- To attend Council Meetings of the Law Society either in person in London or by Video Conferencing ( as is currently happening during the pandemic ) .
- You will be expected to be fully conversant with the detailed agenda and policy papers distributed for each meeting so that you can represent our members in Yorkshire .
- We work closely with the Yorkshire Union of Law societies and our Regional Management Team . It would be expected that you would support those activities
- As you represent the members of Yorkshire you would be expected to support those members and where possible to support their events . If they have concerns you would be taking those up on their behalf .
- Whilst it is not obligatory Council Members are offered an opportunity to also serve on other committees of the Law Society .
- There are generally 5 Council meetings of the Law Society + a longer AGM Meeting . You can attend on the day but most attend a premeeting event the night before . There are also 2 formal dinners each year linked to the AGM and Christmas Meeting .
- All travel expenses and accomodation costs are met in accordance with the Law Society Expenses Policy .
This is a great opportuntiy if you have the time and committment , we look forward to working with you to further the best interests of the profession and our yorkshire members "